Sunday, September 4, 2011

September should be warmer.

I feel lame wanting to turn my heat on since it's only the 4th of September, but our apartment hasn't gotten over seventy degrees all day and that is way too cold for my warm-blooded self. So instead of succumbing to temptation I pull on some of my most comfy socks, my Plymouth crew neck sweatshirt, and only leave the confines of my blanket if absolutely necessary. One of those times came around lunch.

I wasn't kidding about the socks. Please excuse the fact that the right one seems to be dirty, I really have no explanation.


So, reluctantly I leave my room, and my book (which is probably the hardest feat), and make my way for the kitchen, remembering the delicious stew my father-in-law gave us a couple days ago. As he would say, "you can just taste the vitamins". Almost the whole stew is made up of veggies from his garden. Seriously, so wonderful. So, to complete the "it's cold and feels like fall so I need to eat warm comfort food" idea I make some of my favorite bread sticks, which unlike the stew contains nothing healthy, which I justify as being okay. (I figure we all find ways to make healthy things completely unhealthy so it doesn't really matter. . . kind of the like the carrots that we had last night that were drenched in butter and brown sugar, mmmhmm, anyways. . .)

My lunch, be jealous.

So, I guess that I am trying to say is that I really don't mind getting all bundled up if the result is warm stew and homemade bread sticks. Sometimes good things come with the bad. Which is obviously lame, but I guess you just have to learn how to get by. Ahh, the beauty of it all.

Have a splendid week.

6 comments:

  1. man i miss those bread sticks.... they were amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. alyssa, I am sure you could re-create them if you want the recipe. They're really pretty simple, just let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just hear my dad saying that! I love the annual garden stew :) I would just love to have our apartment under 70 degrees right now....we are lucky if it is under 80 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. come to texas. it's still 100 degrees here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love those bread sticks!!!! Right now it is freezing in Omaha, well not freezing technically but really cold to me and I am currently wearing fuzzy socks and my tie dye sweatshirt! I miss you little one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your breadsticks are famous Cam! Seriously, I love those breadsticks too haha :) That is so funny you are cold, it is still super hot here, blech.
    P.s. the sock thing totally cracked me up :D

    ReplyDelete