Sunday, September 30, 2012

babysitting to the extreme.

This past week was quite the adventure. I can honestly say that I don't think I've been more out of my element, ever. This is entirely because I started changing hundreds of lives by becoming a highly skilled and pretty affordable full-time babysitter (also known as a substitute in most cases). And holy cow is that stressful!

For example, on Monday I took on a job of 5 kindergarten art classes. Having 24 of those little bodies in one place at one time and then be expected to teach them something should be illegal! Don't get me wrong, we had a blast drawing abstract art, and listening to all of the interesting facts about their lives. One girl informed me that just last week she broke her arm and her foot, but thankfully she made a full and quick recovery. I also had a battle with the bathroom. I couldn't help but laugh when one girl said she really really really really really needed to use the restroom, but came back minutes later realizing that she actually never really had to.

Then don't get me started on the 5th graders who were convinced I was a high school student. I wanted to have a heart-to-heart and explain to them that a high school student, just like them, would still be in class, and also would never be permitted to teach them. Instead, I took it with class and a giggle and let them know that being short is really a cool thing and has quite the adventages, albeit in disguise sometimes.

But the week was utterly exhausting, it didn't help that I caught some sort of bug that pretty much dominated me. Every day felt like the first day on the job. Every school a new place, every student a new face, and all different rules and procedures in each case. (see what I did there? nifty, huh?)

But, I am grateful for the opportunity to experience this little adventure. I feel like I've learned more than I ever expected I would and that I have been tested in a new and almost unfair way. I've had to be out of my zone, which I really detest, and on my toes at all times. But, the smiles, the fact that they want to sit and chat, and that they think I am nice, and that they trust me makes it all worth it. And in the end, I really do hope that I make a difference in these little kids lives. I might only see them once, but I hope that something I do or say helps them become better in some way. Even though I often feel like a belittled and slightly insignificant babysitter, I do realize my job is important and for that reason I plan to do a dang good job at it. So here's to trying new things, learning new things, and making that difference, even it at times it seems almost nonexistent.

2 comments:

  1. I have never been a substitute, but I am sure you have your work cut out for you with all those students! Good thing you are so nice and friendly, and good at what you do! I hope you feel better soon. It stinks when life goes on even though you don't feel well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you so much! Good work remaining strong! I bet you are a great substitute teacher.. I hope you are doing well, chica! Much love!

    ReplyDelete